Data lovers, rejoice! We’ve pulled together a new list of direct mail stats indicating what makes direct mail such an integral part of your omnichannel campaign. (Bonus: This has been updated for 2017!)
Millennials Love It
- 36% of people under 30 look forward to checking the mail each day.1 Tweet this.
- At least 42% of millennials prefer direct mail political ads over online ads, with 38% favoring both equally.2 Tweet this.
- 66% are more likely to remember to use a voucher if they have a physical copy to carry around.3 Tweet this.
- 23% bought or ordered something as a result of receiving direct mail in the last 12 months.3 Tweet this.
- Millennials who live at home are 18% more likely than the general population to welcome direct mail and 32% more likely to find it memorable.3 Tweet this.
The Bottom Line – Millennials will have a cumulative $1.4 trillion in spending power by 2020. If you’re not marketing to them with direct mail, you’re missing out on a huge opportunity and large percent of the population.
Women Have the Purchasing Power
- 91% of mail is picked up by the same person each day; 80% of them are women.4 Tweet this.
- 80% of those picking up mail (men and women alike) are the primary grocery shoppers.4 Tweet this.
- Women make more than 80% of all purchasing decisions.5 Tweet this.
- Women make more than 85% of all household purchases.5 Tweet this.
- 22% of women shop online at least once a day.5 Tweet this.
The Bottom Line – Design your mail with women in mind, because they will have the most interaction with it once it hits the mailbox.
It’s Easily Integrated
- 44% of marketers using three of more channels for their marketing efforts.4 Tweet this.
- Retailers have seen a $21 million dollar difference in online sales per million site visitors between those who had received a catalog at their home address and those that had not.6 Tweet this.
- For those same retailers, that translated to 163% lift.6 Tweet this.
- Bobonos customers who received a catalog spend 1.5 times more than new shoppers who didn’t receive a catalog first.7 Tweet this.
- Boden customers spend up to 15 to 20 minutes with their catalog, vs. an average of 8 seconds for an email and 5 minutes with their iPad app.7 Tweet this.
- 10.6 million catalogs were mailed in 2015.8 Tweet this.
- 2.5 billion coupons were redeemed in 2015.8 Tweet this.
- 51% prefer companies to use a combination of mail and email when communicating with them.9 Tweet this.
The Bottom Line – 62% of people are always addressable (meaning they own and use at least three web-connected devices, go online multiple times per day, and go online from multiple physical locations). Putting a physical mail piece in front of your customers gives them a chance to collect more information and pushes them toward your website on any one of those devices.
People Notice (And Act On) It
- 92% of shoppers say they prefer direct mail for making purchasing decisions.10 Tweet this.
- 70% are curious to find out what’s in their mailbox.9 Tweet this.
- 74% always or sometimes notice advertising in direct mail.9 Tweet this.
- 42 percent of recipients read or scan mail pieces.4 Tweet this.
- Direct mail household response rate is at 3.7% (compared to .2% mobile, .1% email, .1% social media, and .02% internet display).4 Tweet this.
- Direct mail median household ROI is at a median of 18-20%.4 Tweet this.
- At 5.0%, oversized postcards have the greatest response rate over other mediums (followed by postcards at 4.25% and dimensional mailings at 4.0%).4 Tweet this.
The Bottom Line – Direct mail cuts through the clutter, offering the opportunity to put your advertising piece right in your customer’s hand.
(Don’t forget, this has been updated for 2017!)
- 2015 Gallup Poll http://www.gallup.com/poll/182261/four-americans-look-forward-checking-mail.aspx
- USPS, “Political Mail and Millennials” http://www.deliverthewin.com/millennials/
- MarketReachUK, “The Seven Life Stages of Mail” http://www.mailmen.co.uk/campaigns/lifestages
- 2015 DMA Response Rate Report. Purchase here: https://thedma.org/knowledge-center/bookstore/
- Sheconomy, Marketing To Women Quick Facts http://she-conomy.com/facts-on-women
- ComScore study http://www.comscore.com/
- Wall Street Journal article http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304311204579505532568168984
- 2016 DMA Statistical Fact Book https://thedma.org/knowledge-center/marketing-statistics/direct-mail-statistics/
- Canada Post https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/home.page
- DMR Report http://expandedramblings.com/index.php/10-print-marketing-statistics-know/
Download our eBook: Achieving Personalization Through Variable Data Messaging to learn how to better personalize your direct mail and email marketing efforts.